Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Dude Likes Lent

Sure I am a (proud) lapsed Catholic. I've read too many books, went to college, and thought about too much shit to be a good Catholic anymore- I admit it. But I still like Lent. I like the Mardi Gras/Carnivale meltdown of sin and that symetrical desire for penance and denial, and hey, it's not like it's serious denial. You give up something you can handle for a couple of weeks and pass on meat on Fridays and on Ash Wednesday... shit- the Dude considers that a minor challenge and the chance for some fun in a good Lenten city like ours. And tonight's adventure, some ordered in advance take out from Cafe Garangelo's hit the fucking spot. Ah... navigating icy, shitty roads is worth all the BS for that spectacular garlic and cheese loaf and the baby shells and peas (white) that will purify me from the inside out for days thanks to the copious garlic. I should have ordered that canoli to go but hey, it's Ash Wednesday. It's better to keep it real on the high holy days, even if you are a lapsed Catholic.

No comments: