Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Return of Jazz to Hockey

Somewhere in my Hip cds I've got Gord Downie lamenting the absence of "jazz" from modern hockey (goddamn NJ Devils!) during a question/answer session with some lucky Canadians, and I always agreed with him. The nuetral zone belonged in Star Trek, not professional hockey, and the game lost a lot of mojo that I enjoyed so thoroughly since I was a kid going to games at the Aud with Grandpa or somebody (I seem to recall getting to games with all sort of people in the other season ticket). But no longer. Connolly is dipsy doodling like a Montreal Canadien in the old black and white footage! It is clear to me that indeed the abolition of the two line pass rule has brought the game back to it's legendary past just in time for the future, and if you aren't digging hockey on some level this season there's something wrong with you, and you should certainly ponder it so you can get back on track enjoying life in Buffalo.

And hot damn another power play goal. Palminville (sic)! It's going to be a late night but it's going to worth it. Go Sabres.


ALERT- New Battlestar Galactica tomorrow night! ____ing Admiral Adama. And the US has risen to 7th in the FIFA world rankings, hot ____! To HELL with this talk of the "group of death"... it's going to be gnarly in the first round but screw it, I like our chances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, I will give hockey another look. I used to be into it as a kid when Bflo had the French Connection - and I have always enjoyed the Bruins.
Seems like hockey got pretty boring in recent years. Hopefully, with the new rules it is a faster, funner game.
Incidentally, my "rules" for actually playing hockey are very similar to my basketball, football and billiards "rules". Hit, hack, distract and shoot - always shoot from anywhere. It seems to work best, though, when shooting pool.