Saturday, January 28, 2006

Bono is Starting to "Bug" Me... Again

I've loved U2 for 20 years, but not always as faithfully as I do now... there was a period in the late 80's when Bono became just too goddamned obnoxious, everything an IMPORTANT STATEMENT, as epitomized by one of the most cloying moments in a documentary EVER when Bono sililoquizes about Mandela and whether Bono was "bugggin' ya?" during "Silver and Gold" in the Rattle and Hum movie. Yes, this turned me off. The footage of four rich rock stars frowning everywhere they went, the weight and suffering of the world squarely on their rock star shoulders... this ran totally against my middle class, proletariat view of rock stardom, and I got tired of it. It wasn't until Achtung Baby and the leather pants and humor that I enjoyed U2 again, and for a long time my total love of U2 reigned supreme.

Until now perhaps. Hobnobbing with Dipshit Bush for the greater good is one thing, but hoping into bed with American Express, Versace, Gap, and Nike to produce a special Amex card to fight aids? What the fuck? A goddamned credit card? It's bad enough that we are back in the Gilded Age when the super rich moved, ran, and tried to save the world, but this might be too much for this here U2 fan, and of course that worries me.

No comments: