Thursday, January 12, 2006

Hyperspeed Thoughts in Brief

It's been a busy week and I've tried to focus on the WNY Progress Report blog but I've been observing, and believe me I've been on the lines, and the other blog is currently down so you get:

The scion of Brangelina = the Second Coming of Jebus?!? You'd friggin' think so. False idol worship indeed.

Superman sex chat on this week's Smallville- bloody brilliant. Clark ponders the potential dangers of super shagging with Lana, and those goddamned College Luthor Republicans attacking Pa Kent for running for state senator against Lex?!? Goddamn over the line I say, but not entirely surprising. And in two weeks Pa Kent buys it in the 100th Episode. I call it here now, and I called it last night with the Dugan and Dave the Lawyer. Ask them. Dave might have to eat some words too.

Frequently hearing and digging Junior Gong Damian Marley's "Welcome to Jamrock" while setting up FIFA 2006 matches and managing my Amsterdam Ajax season promted me to check out the whole album and dag... it is a great album. It's got old school, new school, soft rhythms and hard jams, it's got it all, and Damian is surely a credit to his surname.

I just finished the main body of The Lord of the Rings and it is good, the last 80 pages, after the climax of the War and Quest of the Ring, are gravy, pure poetry. It's funny- I ain't generally a fan of poetry per se; my thang is clearly prose, but I really enjoyed the poetry of it this time- my third and last for some time. I also look forward to savoring the Appendixes, where the Professor fills in all the blanks, quotes from a backstory that only he knew, and elaborates on the weird fairy tale that he created for the people of England (and the world). What a great piece of fiction and myth making.

Is wearing hot boots mandatory on Regis & Skinny these days? Vanessa Williams, the Princess Diary lass all grown up, Ainsley Hayes... all in hot boots.... yikes. And this week at work, a breakthrough: the thinking is that my thing for boots goes back to watching Wonder-Woman as a child. Not wearing boots mind you... worshipping boots.

Add Rachel McAdams and Kelly Ripa to the "Too Skinny" list.

I love the class warfare on The OC, I think Johnny the Existential Surfer is a cool dude, I loved Michael Nuri as the super rich surgeon eating pork rinds in the trailer park, and I like it when this show gets dark before it gets light.

Marv in. Mularkey out. What the hell is going on here?

Dark Side of the Moon came out on top as #1 on the 97 Rock Top 400 Albums of All Time, and was played in it's entirety at 11 AM. Some of the decisions were shakey, but hey, Buffalo is a traditional town, with honest values, and of course with Floyd's best at the top it all worked out in the end. Rocking to AC DC's Back in Black in it's entirety (in at #2) was pretty cool too.

The coolest however was DSOM on 4 different radios in the office at work today, communal bliss, and more than a little bittersweet considering that the group will soon be breaking up. DSOM memories were shared (they cannot be repeated here), and all noted how fitting it was listening to DSOM at work as a group, where many of the tropes of DSOM come true on a daily basis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DSOM: Short for Distributed System Object Model, a version of SOM that supports sharing binary objects across networks. DSOM is similar to Microsoft's competing standard called DCOM.

I assume the DSOM to which you refer was Pink Floyd - Otherwise, sharing binary objects across networks being "communal bliss" would be super nerdy - I think.