Monday, January 02, 2006

Adult Fun

Syrianna is excellent. George Clooney is a fearless actor. Jeffrey Wright and Matt Damon are excellent. Doctor Bashir from Star Trek DS9, Alexander Siddig turns in another fine performance (following Kingdom of Heaven, a movie stolen by it's secondary actors), and Chris Cooper adds another firecracker to his resume. It's a dense one, a film I'll be pondering for a while, although I think it's gist is clear: oil from the Middle East is a dodgy business. I'll have to check into the (non fictio?) book it's based on; though I have no doubt of it's essential truth- that our nation's interest in the region is solely driven by money. Perhaps the best film of 2005.

I have to give tremendous credit to George Clooney, a profoundly modest actor who also made Good Night and Good Luck one of 2005's best film's. If I forgot to include it on my 2005 list it was out of profound haste. His liberalness is also noticed and appreciated.

Finished the Simpsons Season 7 dvds and they are of a vintage year: Glen Close as Homer's long lost radical on the lamb mother, Bart's ill fated road trip to the 1982 World's Fair, the Pulp Fiction episode, Homer's first (but not last) rock and roll mid life crisis (Frampton: "I bought that pig at a Pink Floyd yard sale!"), the shockingly obese Homer episode, Marge's attempt to crash Springfield's high society in a pink Chanel suit, it's all there. Easily one of the show's finest seasons.

I will say it's fun watching these Simpsons dvds by the season in order, as opposed to the jumbled up dealer's choice you get from the omnipresent syndicated episodes, and I figure that by season 12 I'll be able to say definitively which is the best season.

I am starting to get worried that the pressure of managing the Ajax soccer club on FIFA 06 is getting to me: the pressure from the club's ownership and computer fans hassling me for my management, fighting for every slot on the leaderboard, the numerous yellow cards... I've got a lot on my mind.

No comments: