Friday, January 27, 2006

Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight

- Tonight's Sabres v Leafs game is another knock down drag out classic. 9 goals in 2 periods, and I wish more than 5 of them were ours. The third period is going to be tough.

- Links. I give you links to all sorts of stuff.

- I forgot to mention that I got the Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince audiobook on cd yesterday. That means I got em all. I also got my UK editions of the first two books in hardcover from Amazon.ca, which I means I got them all too, my library complete except for the final book, which so many wait for. This officially heals the hurt of being snubbed for Dave Gilmour tickets a few weeks back, after which I ordered this merchandise.

- According to the latest Rolling Stone: Neil Young is a god, Radiohead is going on tour this summer (and this time no episode at the show), and Larry Wachowski is a wacko, who's love of deviant sex overshadowed his love of cinema and is largely responsible for the lousy Matrix sequels. All things in moderation indeed...

- Kicked in the Nuts is priceless, profoundly hilarious. Channel101.com is the shit, pure and simple.

- 10:06 PM Update: 12 goals total, 8 of them for us. Another fine effort, and for the record Lindy Ruff is the best coach the Sabres have ever had.

- The 100th episode of Smallville was ludicrusly wonderful, thunderously operatic, the first 10 minutes mind boggling, and hot damn I called it: Pa Kent is dead and even though I new it was going to happen (because that's what I do) I was still profoundly moved when it happened, a wonderful homage to that iconic scene from the first Superman movie, a scene that still hits me in the gut to this day. And Peter Gabriel for the cemetary scene. Wow. Bow down before me Attorney Dave! And now, Smallville is about Clark Kent, the man before Superman. Let's see how that works out, and where it goes from here.

- But seriously, John Schneider was rock solid for 100 episodes, in a role that might well mark him forever to me as PA KENT rather than Bo Duke. If Smallville has added anything to the Superman mythos it's how it's showed what makes Superman the man he is, a hero he is: the love of his parents, their values, and their faith in him, and while Annette O'Toole is a gift that keeps on giving as Ma Kent, Schneider brought a lot of heart and grit, and truth to his role, and to say that he will be missed is a profound understatement.

- The Encyclopedia Brown reference during Seth's first burn on The OC was priceless. I even remember the book he specifically mentions under the influence. Man I used to love Encyclopedia Brown, and The Baker Street Irregulars...

No comments: