Monday, January 30, 2006

Quick Shots (TiVO and Otherwise)

- I cannot watch the end of Return of the King without crying, I confess. I didn't cry this time when Sam carried Frodo up Mount Doom but damn I was still helpless when everybody bows before the hobbits, and when Sam gets married... forget about it. Ever since I sat next to the teenage girls during ROTK in the theater and the one tremulously gasped "OH SAM!" when Sam kisses Rosie that scene has been ruined for me. Just joking. And for the record Fellowship of the Ring is also hilarously underestimated, every bit as Led Zeppelin as Two Towers and as emotionally satisfying as the Oscar slaying ROTK, a real pleasure to view with ROTK in the rearview mirror...

- I also watched the beginning and end of Smallville before I deleted it and damn I teared up again during the Pa Kent death and funeral scenes, this time apparently because I wasn't crowing over being right in my ESP. There was some genuine emotion in those scenes, and by gum it was a great episode.

- According to AICN Cartoon Network is cancelling my guiltiest TiVO pleasure Justice League Unlimited, the excellently written Superfriends on LSD for the 21st Century that featured some of the best voice casting around, and no cheesy ass shit. Oh well.

- "Entangled" and "Ripples", the slow jam outs on A Trick of the Tail, are awesome songs, some of Genesis' best. The new Flaming Lips ringtones are hot, spiffy to the max. I so cannot wait for their new album...

- Every Simpsons season has some fluff, funny yet aimless episodes that just sort of fill in between the exemplary installments and the occasional classic, and this week's entry fell into this category.

- 24 is still off the hook. James Bond... I mean Jack Bauer is on the mutha, the moral cowardice of the President is wicked entertainment, Samwise Gamgee is rocking, and the tension (Jesus H.Christmas! Nerve Gas people!) is preposterous. Still the best thrill ride on TV, hands down.

- WNY Coalition for Progress State of the Union Viewing Party, tomorrow night at JP Bullfeather's, 8:30 PM. A good time will be had by all.

No comments: