Sunday, March 05, 2006

I turned on the Oscars at the very end to see Crash snake the Best Picture Oscar out from under Brokeback Mountain, and then read that Ang Lee got Best Director?!? I didn't see that one coming. I sort of felt bad about not being there for Jon Stewart, but I had Arrested Developments to watch, and juding from the way the thing ended I didn't miss anything (especially because all the frocks are up on the internet).

Apparently Hollywood didn't feel like being a casualty in the Culture Wars (sorry gay folks but we've got elections to win these next few years). That, or maybe Crash was the better movie, about the racism that I grapple with even as a benighted liberal, and provoked responses in the viewer beyond whether they were cool or not with gay cowboys. I am glad however that George Clooney won for his turn in Syrianna, a performance that was profound and as far from Bruce Wayne, Danny Ocean, and Doug Ross as he could have gone.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

No comments: