Sunday, March 19, 2006

* But not that surprising because the comic book blew my mind back in the late 80's. I credit two things with indoctrinating me early against fascism: the City Honors 1984 Day experiment back when I was in fifth grade and Alan Moore's V For Vendetta miniseries. You can read about fascism, or vaguely remember your grade school definitions of fascism, but experiencing it (after a fashion) and feeling it filtered through pop art makes it something else, something I don't truck with AT ALL. Moore's Watchmen cooked my noodle by vigorously applying humanity and human goals, dreams and desires to the superheroic genre in an almost preposterously realistic way, but it was his follow up V For Vendetta that sticks with me to this day, and I am glad that the movie gets most of it right.

Whether it's Thatcher (who was in office when Moore started V in the early 80's) or Bush (the obvious, modern analogue) it falls to us to watch and make sure they work for us, not the other way around...

No comments: