Friday, March 03, 2006

A Grown Man Cries

I freely admit to shedding a tear as they honored Pat Lafontaine tonight before the Sabres/Leafs game. We used to play street hockey every Saturday back when I was in upper middle school and high school and you'd ALWAYS hear "La-La-La-La-La Fontaine!" first. We were in high school and we did that. He was our man, our captain, and I got goosebumps watching those highlights.


In my mind's eye I can still clearly see him sliding on his ass across the red line and dealing the puck to Brad May, setting up the greatest goal in Sabres history as I got upright and then JUMPED UP when May slipped the puck past whatshisface. I can see it clearly, and the sensation of pure joy and utter abandon has been etched into my memory forever, or until I eventually succumb to whatever mental unrest I will be doomed too if the Republicans keep fucking up stem cell research.

No comments: