Saturday, May 20, 2006

Late Night Pre Show Ramblings

The new Doctor Who is the best. It made me want to go to Cardiff. In Wales. I know, unbelievable (although not really- I was a young Fleetwood Mac fan by osmosis and thus a lifelong fan of the Welsh Witch herself...). I think I'll have to get that boxed set in July and maybe see if Chuck has any old Doctor Who's on VHS he can lend me (in fact, Chuck takes partial credit for getting Doctor Who on Channel 17) to bone up on the original article.

I am an Anglophile. I like Radiohead. The BBC. 2000 AD. Monty Python. Pink Floyd. The Beatles. Zeppelin. The Stones. JRR Tolkien. The Office. Bass. Harry Potter. Fish and chips. Judge Dredd. English soccer. Sky Sports. Luther Arkwright. Black Sabbath. The Police. The Beach Boys were huge in England for years after America deserted them and Brian Wilson is venerated over there the way I venerate him myself. James Bond. The new Doctor Who.

U2, The Flaming Lips, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Wilco, and R.E.M. are huge in England.

I also like sinking ships. I read A Night to Remember in grade school. I think the original Poseiden Adventure is magnificent. The book in my uncle's Time Life collection about ships that was my favorite was the one about the sunken ones. I couldn't wait to find out what was in the Andrea Doria's safe. I liked Titanic. I had to see Poseiden on the IMAX. Actually I don't know what that's about.

The Parallel Universe (aha! a DC Comics trope!) Al Gore bit on last week's SNL (I figured I'd fast forward to the Paul Simon stuff) was great, the Seinfeld curse bit even better (almost joyful? serendipitous?), and the new Paul Simon stuff sounds amazing- I had a Brian Eno moment (OVERCOME BY SOUND!) as I watched it, and the lyrics resonate (why is it usually the old guys who can produce such resonant art?).

I'll have to add it to my list. The rest of SNL I fast forwarded through except for peyote gag and the end credits when everybody hugs (the Al Gore Paul Simon embrace was nice, real, two soldiers). Al Gore is and always will be the shit. Just when you think the man is kaput you see the glimmers of a second coming and you start to wonder "hey- the current asshole has certainly fucked everything up- ya never know"....

The Real Deal's in 8.66 hours and Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals in in 13.66.

1 comment:

freethoughtguy said...

I read "A Night To Remember" too -- good book!