Monday, May 29, 2006

Glorious Suspension of Disbelief

Chuck at the comics store read the blog and came through big time Thursday when I ran in the store after work and out of the store on my way to the wedding rehearsal: 2 DVDs of vintage Doctor Who and they are a hoot. I can see why I could never have tolerated them as a child being a child of and ruined by Star Wars, but now I can appreciate this sort of stuff. The apparently classic 1972 Carnvial of Monsters featuring Jon Pertwee and Katy Manning (LOVE THOSE BOOTS!) is absolutely cheesy and they knew it but they didn't care: they cooked it up with a wink and a straight face and everybody disbelieved and therefore believed it into art for an English audience at home glad to suspend their disbelief with a nod and wink themselves. The half hour episodes digest well and I can't wait to finish them off. I actually regret not giving them some time when they used to show them on Channel 17. And why are they not on all the time now? On BBC America or SciFi? A bloody disgrace.

The Tom Baker disc I haven't finished yet but that doesn't appear to be THAT cheesy at all and appears to be a Sherlock Holmes riff of the highest order, and as a Holmes reader in my youth I can't wait to finish The Talons of Weng-Chiang.

No comments: