Thursday, December 08, 2005

Our Street Fighting Men

I like the classic rock bent during Sabres games, and I like watching the Sabres come from behind to dig it out after a semi-ugly game (that was fun nonetheless). I really like the "Braveheart" game intro that is more nostalgic and beautiful than outright testosterone-o-rama and the fact that I didn't have to endure one Backstreet Boys or cheese pop nonsense. The Sabres are our Street Fighting Men, rumbling and winning and I think the atmosphere at the games is GREAT. What I can't figure out is: what the fudge happened to the non hoi polloi demographic of WNY vis a vis the depressing number of empty seats in the tawny 100 and 200 levels? Are times that tough in suburbialand for the $100,000 - $499,999 crowd? Or is there something better to do in town than go to a Sabres game? Or is the upper crust that lame? I just don't know.

Tomorrow night is U2 at the HSBC. Finally, the tickets that I've owned for 9 months will do something. Yes.

And in the HOT TIP department: UPN is rerunning the legendary Victoria's Secret Fashion Show next Tuesday at 9. I don't think I will ever delete it. Dare I call it art? It's certainly spectacle to be sure, but I also suspect that it transcends mere commerce. Or maybe that's just the video pheromones talking. Who can be sure?

No comments: