Saturday, December 10, 2005

One Love, and The Group of Death

U2 delivered another killer show last night, not as killer as the "profound" 2001 Bflo show (according to the guy in the Bflo News and myself), but powerful nonetheless. The rock was solid ("Vertigo" kicked that show; "Bullet the Blue Sky" shredded), the preaching pitch perfect and inobtrusive (none of that "am I buuuggin' ya?" of yesteryear- Bono's got it down) and I agree of course with all of it, and the "show" was excellent- I am way glad I had a nice buzz going in. I am glad they've incorporated elements of their mad 90's stage shows ("strange and fanciful shit" according to Bono) into their current outting, and I am really glad to see the lads introducing that element of mystery back into their repertoire (ala The Hip and Radiohead) after doing rote setlists to accomodate the visual and technical requirements of ZooTV and Popmart, and to a lesser extent Elevation 2001. I mean, "Another Time, Another Place" sent me to dig out "Boy" to make sure I heard it right, "Miss Sarejevo" was awesome (Bono did Pavarotti proud in my book), and the full band rendition of "Instant Karma" was brilliant. Almost magical ("and we all shine on!"). It was the best of all possible worlds. Needless to say I screamed and sang myself hoarse (how beautiful was that "40"? God.) and am paying for it today, even though I could've still pulled it out and rocked out in Cleveland tonight if I only had tickets...

And why oh why did the USA have to land in the Group of Death in next year's Copa Mundial (World Cup)? The Czechs will be tough, and Italy... we've been Italy's beeyatch for ages, and Ghana is going to be a great unknown, a potential stealth spoiler for our boys. Man, our work is cut out for us next July, that is for sure. Our karma will have to be pure.

No comments: