Saturday, December 10, 2005

More Random Thoughts on U2

- It's hard to believe that U2 has been on top of the rock music world for almost 20 years (18 since the '87 Joshua Tree breakthrough year), and still at the height of their powers: bestselling album, sold out world tour, succcesful celebrity lobbying efforts, continued relevancy- it's almost ludicrus.

- It's almost harder to believe that these guys have been together for 30 years: teen hooligans, chums, boon companions, brothers. At this point it is true: these guys will be together, and with us, forever.

- I love my customary tour merchandise: my t-shirt is the three symbol jobber (V symbol, peace sign, bomb) that they have for every tour with the tour itinerary on the back- striking and extremely soft to the touch (ooh that African cotton and non sweatshop craftsmanship), and the tour programme is of course swell. Honestly, I do love giving these guys my money.

- It's never been a better time to pick up U2 Vertigo 2005 Live in Chicago on DVD; if you went to the show or missed it, this is an excellent document / souvenir of their current world tour, and because the setlists are rather different you get a real taste of how great these shows are.

- I've said it before and I will say it again: boys please come back next year for some 2006 shows. Do stadiums- a fun summer fiesta circuit, cash in, I don't care. A summer U2 stadium tour would be awesome.

No comments: