Monday, December 26, 2005

Boxing Day Report

- Thank Jebus I had today off.

- The Springsteen Born to Run boxed set is unfreakingbelievable. The concert dvd from '75 is magnificent. I thought going to see U2 was like church, the Boss before he was the Boss was like a religious revival with straight up rock and insurgent soul music.

- Media Play has been picked clean. I did get the last of copy of The Art of Star Wars Episode III in paperback, completing my set from I to IV (Empire and Jedi are out of print I think), and like the prequels it is the best of the bunch. I also like the fact that when put on the shelf, I has a white cover, II light gray, III dark, dark gray, and IV's cover is pure black, along with V and VI if memory serves. Cool.

- My favorite character died today and I will miss him. I've seen Vincent Schiavelli on TV and in the movies since I was a kid: Barney Miller, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Star Trek TNG, The X-Files, Buffy, Batman Returns, one of the Bronson Bond movies, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, God- everything. His humor, his class, his physical grace... he was great in everything he did, and he's been in a lot of good stuff. Adios amigo.

- Something is hilariously wrong with our nation when Monday Night Football is calling it quits on network TV. Terribly, hilariously, wrong.

- I sort of skipped the 2nd disc of the Live 8 DVD set last night so tonight I made up for it:

Razorlight - Eh.
Madonna - Great. I like her new fangled old school roller skating jams.
Will Smith - It was fun watching Phillie rapping the Fresh Prince theme for him.
Brian Wilson - I really, really like this second coming of Brian Wilson, boy genius. He was great at Darien Lake a few years back, and he's great here (and everywhere else he's turned up lately).
Snow Patrol - These guys are great.
Toby Keith - I skipped him totally.
The Killers - Fun. I like these guys.
Dave Matthews - The first time I ever liked him.
Joss Stone - She's got a great voice this one.
Scissor Sisters - A real hoot.
Alicia Keys - I really don't understand the fuss.
Velvet Revolver - Stone cold GNR rock.
Jet- Total AC / DC knock offs.

I refuse to watch Sting perform Police songs (until he reunites with that legendary band); and I watched all the hard rocking stuff from the 3rd disc again (Stevie, The Who, Pink Floyd), and Macca, who was good (thankfully he didn't do "Freedom" - yeesh).

No comments: