Friday, April 07, 2006

Thursday TiVo Fun

Ellen caught some guff for busting out of the Coalition board meeting to meet up with a friend to watch The OC, but I stood by her. I respect her taste. The OC is my Thursday sugar fix, a thoroughly guilty pleasure essential for getting through Friday to the weekend: the saga (ok, soap opera) of beautiful people who are good people by my reckoning navigating the existential dilemma that is modern life, with great references (this week: Pa Kettle, ). This week it was Qui Gonn Sandy Cohen versus corrupt property developers (will Sandy hold true to his principals?), Cosmo Girl hits the skids with the arch nemesis of Johnny the Former Existential Surfer, Seth acts the jackass and lies about bitter failure, and everything hits the fan. And the music is good.

Whatever the hell the WB/UPN channel is going to be better bring on Smallville or I am going to be hella-pissed. This week's was a tasty nugget: Senator Martha Kent in action, Clark in South America chasing Brainiac (his first true blue super villain!), Lex as the concerned boyfriend, and Lana going Harry Potter one better in her effort to see her dead parents by becoming addicted to artificial death just like in a Flaming Lips song. Fun. And then Clark has an artificial death experience and sees Pa Kent and all of a sudden it got emotional and profound when Pa tells Clark that it is his destiny to be "a symbol of peace and a symbol of justice." With all the white light and music and John Schnieder it all very moving I must confess.

I might have to break down and get this series on DVD. Or I have to pull myself together.

And speaking of TiVo, I can safely say that I am excited about the Barcelona FC / AC Milan UEFA Champions League fixtures starting in two weeks on ESPN2, which I should be able to enjoy at some point on TiVO, complete with the jolly English play by play dude and the Leprecaun providing the Irish color. Frankly that shit is infectious and entertaining, and occasionally hilarious.

All I have to do is avoid the scores on the Internet that night (believe me, I won't catch them accidentally at work- the AP doesn't care that much to post anything over here that fast) all will be well.

No comments: